PPL Nightlight Fire in Township

March 31st, 2017

On 3/31/2017 at 1918 UAFD was dispatched along with other first alarm units to the 10th block of Conway Dr for a reported odor of something burning. Chief 23 and Chief 223 arrived and started to investigate and speak with the homeowner. Chief 23 then held the box to engine 23. Engine 23 arrived and found that the odor was coming from a night light in the kitchen that had caught fire but had burned itself out. Power was secured to the breaker and engine 23 used a thermal imaging camera and heat gun and confirmed that there was no fire extension into the wall.

The homeowner advised that they received the LED nightlight in a  energy-efficiency kit that PPL sent out. UAFD cleared the scene after approximately 20 minutes.

Since this call news has broken that PPL is now urging customers to stop using the nightlights after multiple other reports of smoke and fire from the units.

Ecova, is the contractor that distributed the lights for PPL. Customers with questions about the nightlight can call Ecova at1-877-486-9204.

**written by Kevin Prest

RIP Lt Dennis DeVoe of Harrisburg Fire Department

March 11th, 2017


The UAFD extends our thoughts and prayers most importantly to the Lt Dennis DeVoe family and the Harrisburg Fire Department’s,.

Please keep his family, and our fellow brothers and sisters in your thoughts and prayers as each grieve such a tough loss.

Rest easy Lt Dennis DeVoe. Stay strong #HFD

It’s that time of year again! Change Your Clock, Change Your Batteries!

March 11th, 2017

Change Your Clock Change Your Batteries program. Every Spring, UAFD want to remind people of the simple, life-saving habit of changing and testing the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors when setting the clocks spring forward.

The National Fire Protection Association reports that 71% of smoke alarms which failed to operate had missing, disconnected or dead batteries. This reinforces how important it is to take this time each year to check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. UAFD would like to remind you of the importance of batteries not only in smoke alarms, but also the full range of devices that help keep us safe, secure and comfortable in our homes.

Home safety and security has evolved beyond smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Many families rely on other home devices connected to the Internet or their smartphones, also known as the Internet of Things, to enhance safety and security.

2nd Alarm Fire in Boro for 2nd Fire in 12 hrs

February 14th, 2017

Tuesday, February 13 2017 UAFD was called into the Boro of Mechanicsburg in the 100 blk of W. Simpson St. for a reported house fire.  PD was on scene and reported fire visible from rear and Chief 28 arrived and established command.  Engine 23 along with 1st alarm units make a quick fire attack and stop the fire on the 2nd floor and on the B-C corner.   Engine’s 23 crew helped with pulling some interior walls and ceilings and cleaning up supply and handlines.  Thanks to Mt. Holly Springs Co.#36 for the Engine transfer.

Kitchen Fire in the First Due!

February 14th, 2017

February, 12 2017 Upper Allen FD was dispatched to the 400 block of Orchard Ln. in the township around 9:40 pm for a report kitchen fire. Chief 223 arrived on scene to find light smoke coming from side “C” of the single family dwelling. Chief 23 arrived and assumed command and were advised that the home was evacuated.

Engine 23 established a supply line and units from the boro of Mechanicsburg assisted with manpower and water supply. RIT 25 arrived and was never used.

The crews went interior and make a pretty fast knock of the fire inside the kitchen. It was found to be result of cooking.

This is a good reminder that having Fire Extinguishers inside your home and close to Kitchen is a good idea. Also please make sure you check your smoke alarms!

Great Job by all crews involved!